Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Waterbabies - A love story

Wow, what a surprise I got when I woke up yesterday morning! The hubby surprised me with a trip into the city for a couple of days. I'll be back with a full recap when I return on Friday (!!) but until then, I thought I'd leave you with a Valentine's Day-inspired survey...all about the Waterbabies! I borrowed it from my friend Michelle over at See Michelle Blog. (She is so awesome and funny, you should check her out.) anyway, I'm away from the computer for awhile so Happy Valentine's Day everyone! I hope you all have a day filled with much love and surprises! I know I will...

1. How long have you and your significant other known each other?

The mister and I were introduced in August/September of 2003. We started dating in December of that year.

2. How did you meet? {What’s your “love” story?}

We were set up by mutual friends in college. I had recently gotten out of a relationship and I wasn't really looking for a boyfriend however, I played water polo with a girl who said she had the most perfect guy for me. She was dating one of Mr. WB best friends. She invited him to come to a water polo game and he didn't show up. (Excepting the guy she was dating at that time, I didn't have high hopes for any guy she knew, as her track record wasn't the best.) So I wasn't surprised when he didn't show up.

She called him and he apologized, said that something had come up and he would come to the next game. I wrote him off at that point and decided that if he came great, if not, oh well... At our next home game he showed up and we were introduced. We went on a date a few weeks later and the rest is history! :)

3. If married, how long have you been married?

Mr. Waterbaby asked me to marry him in June of 2007. We tied the knot in August of 2008: 3 years, 5 months and 20 days ago.

4. If you are married, where did you get married? Big or small wedding?

We had a pretty big wedding. We invited 150 of our closest friends and family to celebrate with us. Our ceremony took place in Sacramento, CA at the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament and our reception was at a beautiful business club called the Sutter Club. It was the middle of summer and 100 degrees but it was the best day of our lives!

our ceremony space

our reception space

5. Do you have any nick-names that you call one another? Do share!

We don't really have any embarrassing nicknames for each other (not that I would share them here if we did!). We pretty much stick with the usual baby or honey. One thing I refuse to call him or let him call me is babe, because I am not a pig!


6. Name 3 things you love most about your honey.

There are so many things I love about my husband and to narrow them down to three is very hard but hmmm...

First, I love his sense of humor. He can make me laugh without even saying a word. I love the way he sees the world, everything in order but with lots of laughter thrown in.
Secondly, I love his right side of the brain-ness. He's a financial wiz and that is so completely different from me. I appreciate so much what his mind can do and acknowledge that mine just does not work like that! :)
Thirdly, I love his protectiveness. Not only does he never want to see me unhappy, our little family is always first and foremost in his mind. Every decision he makes is based on our goals, our hopes and with us in mind.

7. Tell us how he proposed?

We got engaged the day before my birthday. It was a pretty packed day. We had a brunch to go to for our friends who had gotten married the day before, we had to pick up a few things in preparation for my Birthday party the next day and we had to do this all before picking up my cousin at the airport.
After brunch Mr. WB decided he wanted to take a walk in a park near his home. This is a place that previously in our relationship we had picnicked, at least once every summer. I said no way...we had things to do! He talked me into it and we headed that way, after a stop at his parents place (you can guess how I was feeling about that one!). After laying down the ground rules about only being there for a few minutes we took a stroll.
After stopping in the butterfly garden and watching them flit from one beautiful flower to another, he started talking about how happy he is being with me and how much he loved me. Mr. WB is a kind of sappy guy anyway and I was focused on the time, goshdarnit. When I realized he wasn't following me I looked back and he was down on one knee! I nearly fainted...and screamed! As he asked me that fateful question I could think of nothing but how much I loved this man! I said yes and that was it. Oh, and we still picked up my cousin on time.

8. Is he a flowers and teddy bear kind of guy for v-day, or strawberries, champagne, and rose petals?

Umm, can I say all of the above! He brings me flowers just because and we always have champagne in the house. I have received both teddy bears and chocolate covered strawberries for Valentine's Day. We hardly do more than cards and dinner on this national day of love but the rest of the year, I am so spoiled...

9. Are you a sunset dinner on the beach kind of girl, or pop a movie in and relax on the couch?

As a true waterbaby any time on the beach sounds like heaven, but everyday life leads me to grab a movie and cuddle on the couch! Sacramento is a valley afterall...

10. Tell us one thing you’d like to do with your significant other one day. If you could do anything? Go anywhere?

We'd love to go to Europe, all expenses paid of course. Either that or an overwater bungalow in either Fiji or the Maldives!!

11. Tell us what you plan on doing on this Valentine’s Day.

We're in the city! San Francisco to be exact, with maybe some wine tasting thrown in. I'm not sure what we'll be up to.



12. Are you asking for anything this Valentine’s day?

I had no expectations for this Valentine's day. Let's just say he knocked it out of the park!


13. Give us one piece of advice of keeping a relationship strong and full of love.

Communicate, communicate, communicate. Also, be accepting of each other. Trust is another good one. Do I have to pick one?

14. Show us a picture of what love means to you.

To me love means loving each other even when you look silly! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment