Friday, January 16, 2009

Across the Universe

I just saw the most amazing movie ever.

Those who know me, and have ridden in my car, know that I am a huge fan of 60's music. Motown, classic rock, pop, you name it...I love it. There is only one band's music (although the Temptations come close) that will invariably make me turn it all the way up and sing my heart out in the car, not caring who sees me. And that band is The Beatles.

I think, I take that back, I know that the main reason I love this group, and their music so much, is a direct result of my father's love of their music and his weekly devotion to Breakfast with the Beatles. A weekly radio show that we would listen to on the way to church every Sunday and that I'm surprised my parents could hear over our our unhappy, protesting cries. Unhappy because we (my younger brother and I) wanted to hear some "good" [read: current] music of the 90's. Yeah, I'm glad they ignored us!

Anyway, during Christmas 2007 I heard a new movie with a Beatles soundtrack was being released. My father had just passed away and I just couldn't handle 2 hours watching "his" music without my him. So, I passed. I figured I would see it later, if ever and I'd be fine.

Cut to this past weekend: Brandon and I were hanging out and watching the movie channel, and guess what's up next? Across the Universe. So we watched it.

OMG! What an experience. It is so visually stunning to watch. The vivid colors and the amazing directing make it a beautiful movie and the seamless way the music is written in and transitioned make it fantastic to hear. It is really a crash course to the 60's and what the Beatles tried to get across with their music. Amazing! I HIGHLY recommend watching this movie if you haven't, and if you have, watch it again. It's that good.

My mom has all my CD copies of the Beatles albums and I really must get them back. I want to listen to all their songs one more time. And, can you believe that as many times as Brandon has heard these songs on the radio (or on Target commercials...what travesty) and in my car he didn't recognize the songs as we watched the movie! I'm off to educate him...and to get my own copy of this movie because I want to watch it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment